Thursday, April 07, 2005

A.J. is here!

It is my greatest pleasure to announce the birth of Abraham Jackson Archer! He was born Wednesday, April 6 at 1:22 am. He weighed 7 pounds, 14 ounces and was 20 3/4 inches long.

Kerrie and I just got home from the hospital with Abe a couple of hours ago. We've been at the hospital since Monday evening. The doctor's decided to induce labor on Tuesday morning, and it took a little time, but little Abraham arrived in great shape.

He's the greatest little man in the world! He really never cries--which is amazing. He does like to squeak softly to himself, though.

Why the name Abraham Jackson, you ask? Well, a few reasons. First of all, we really liked the name Abraham. It's got the "cool old man" vibe and it's one of those unique names that gets better the more you hear it. Secondly, we love the story of Abraham from the Bible. (Read Genesis 12: 1-3) Third, my great grandfather's name was Abraham, my grandfather's name was Abram, and my dad's middle name was A. So, we just decided to keep the family name and just un-abbreviate it. Also, we've always liked the name Jackson, but there are so many people lately naming their kids Jack. We just wanted to be a little different. And there's the fact that if a person has a name like Abraham Jackson Archer, he's got to be pretty cool and probably famous.

And the final reason is this--I'm all about the nicknameability of a person's name, so I figure the possibilities are endless with Abraham Jackson. We've already got Abe, AJ, Jack, and AJacks. My grandmother's name for him is Abrajack, which sounds like some sort of fish. It's impossible to weigh the importance of a good nickname.

Anyways, I've been up pretty much since Monday night, so I think I'll end this little rant and take a nap with my 36-hour-old son. Thanks for your prayers and support!

1 comment:

John Nelson said...

I'm so excited and thrilled for you and Kerrie! Welcome to parenthood! Abe (I like AJacks!)is living testimony that "in all things, God works for good for all who love him"!